I love you, sweetheart :)

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

DIY 5: tea light lanterns

So Mike and I just can't seem to get enough of DIY projects. Let's make a little list, shall we?

In no real order

1. cake topper
2. sign for engagement shoot
3. little painted pictures to go on tables
4. card box
5. tea bag favors
6 . flower petals
7. hair flowers for bridesmaids
8. Designed invites
And we still have two months to go. haha. We're a little driven.

How about a list of things we still want to do.

1. Birch arch
2. centerpieces
3. Programs

I'm sure there's more. We just haven't come up with it yet.

Anyway, adding to our list of DIY projects done (or almost done, really)

My sister got about a BAZILLION little battery powered tealight candles.

You know, these things.



They're cute and little and even flicker like real candles.

And they were just sitting there in my sister's room collecting dust...okay not really...but I mean, come on, they were screaming at me to be used. And so Mike and I came up with a cute idea very similar to this...




So, we went to Joann's, the go to place for all our crafty crazy DIY needs, and bought about 15 sheets of vellum, 8 rolls of ribbon, a box of 300 zots (those things are awesome) and double stick tape and then GOT TO WORK!!!



err........entertained ourselves for a bit with the lights...
....Mike looks real creepy. Not gonna lie.
BUT THEN WE GOT TO WORK!!!



tealights: check


strips of vellum (we got three from each sheet): check

....other supplies: check.

Instead of wrapping the vellum around the tealights themselves like we originally planned to do, we decided to make bases for each little lantern. That way we could make them bigger. So Mike made little bases.



Don't they remind you faintly of a childhood fad?


(the pokemon, Koffing)

On a side note: While we cut out our little koffing shaped bases, I couldn't help but say "koffing" in the pokemon's voice every so often. I tried to get Mike to let me put in my only pokemon video, but he said no....psh.

After cutting out all the bases, we stuck the little tealights on, the big hole was for the switch and the tiny holes for the little legs to stick out of, and wrapped the vellum around the base, creating a basic looking mini lantern





We turned all the lights off to see how they looked.


I'd say they passed the test


That's supposed to be Mike's eye right above the lantern.

They still looked pretty boring though, so we decided to use the ribbon to spruce em up a bit.
Still it lacked something, so we did a little stamp action.




And VOILA!! :) Our cute little lanterns are ALMOST complete. We stopped for the night though because my poor little wild man was tired. But tomorrow, hopefully, we'll use fishing line to string them together to get the look we want.

I can't wait to see these bad boys (and girls) at our reception. It's crazy doing all these little projects and imagining what they will be like at the wedding.

AAAHHH I'M GETTING MARRIED!!!!!!!

:)

1 comment:

  1. Those look awesome!! Can't wait to see them! You guys are doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete