I love you, sweetheart :)

Monday, June 21, 2010

Rant.

It really bothers me how much weddings and marriages have lost their true meaning.

I'll admit, I'm one of those brides that have subscribed to half a million wedding blogs and sit for hours at a time reading blogs posted by other brides about projects and decorations and venues and flowers. But some of these posts are RIDICULOUS!

It seems these days that weddings are all about trying to make it the least bit "weddingy" as possible. Get rid of as many traditions as possible. "I don't want to wear a pretty dress, I want to wear jeans and a sweatshirt". "I don't want my dad to walk me down the aisle cuz it makes me feel like a piece of property." "I want there to be an epic light saber battle in the middle of the ceremony." COME ON PEOPLE! Have you forgotten what a wedding is about?

Have you forgotten the seriousness, the specialness of getting married? Not anymore apparently. It seems to me, that weddings are almost becoming a joke. Or a contest. For so many it's no longer about "the man leaving his family to cleave unto his wife, making their two lives become one." Now it's, this couple living together will make everything legal but they decided that she wants to keep her last name and he wants to keep his.

What's even the point anymore? I mean, I'm against living together without being married. But it seems like making a joke out of your wedding is just as much a slap in the face as not getting married at all.
Where's the excitement of finally getting to be with the one you love forever? You've already been living together for half a year.

Some traditions are traditions because they make a wedding, a wedding. Sure, some are a little ridiculous (like the something old, something new...) but others are meaningful. Like the father walking his daughter down the aisle. Or exchanging rings as a symbol of your never-ending promise to love each other. Though that promise seems to be the most broken these days. Speaking of which, when did your "no" mean "no" and your "yes" start meaning "maybe"? Why is this a promise that's so hard to keep? Two that become one, don't break off into two again. One becomes two halves, struggling to become one with someone else. That only makes one and a half. Which then could become a fourth....anyway. You get my point. If we were meant to go from marriage to marriage, we'd have those little memory erasers like they do in Men In Black. Or bounce back like those memory foam mattresses.

I don't know. All I'm saying is that I've seen what marriage and weddings have come to these days. It's like we're trying to take God completely out of the picture. HE MADE MARRIAGE!
I'm going to make it my goal to glorify Him in our wedding. Not us.

This is something that just really bothers me. If I offended anyone, I'm sorry. But I should be able to voice my own opinion on my own blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment